Bibb County has a deep and enduring history reflected in the architecture of its buildings and homes. A drive through the main streets and rural highways that dot the county can reveal many intriguing clues to its past.
(Not All Historical Sites Are Pictured Here)
Bibb County Courthouse
Built in 1902, the courthouse is the centerpiece of the town square in Centreville. The elegant building has undergone extensive renovation and preservation and is one of the busiest spots in the County. The Confederate Monument, dedicated in 1910 by the Leonard Callaway Pratt Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy stands guard in front of the courthouse along with a memorial to WWII Medal of Honor recipient Ross F. Gray.
The former lodge at 568 Walnut St., Centreville, opened its doors in 1852 as a school building. Although the original structure burned in 1894, it was rebuilt and renamed Centreville High School until 1906, when it was purchased by O.C. Oakley for his residence.
The original house on Walnut St., Centreville, was built in 1837 by James Lafayette Davidson, an officer in the Confederate Army and a Probate Judge for Bibb County. According to legend and historical records, two Union soldiers were killed by Confederate snipers as they crossed the nearby Cahaba River Bridge, and they were interred on the property in an unmarked grave. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.
Built in 1837 as a stagecoach stop and hotel called the Eagle Tavern. Yankee officers took over the hotel during the Civil War, and Federal Troops remained in the building for more than two years. John Perry Kennedy ran the inn until 1900 when it was purchased for a personal residence.
Centreville Bank Building
Originally known as the Bibb County Banking and Trust Company, the bank was built in 1899. The three-story building originally housed a bank and the U.S. Post Office on the first floor and a hotel on the two upper floors.
The house was built by Judge J. Fritz Thompson and his wife Jewell in 1923. Mr. Thompson operated the Ford dealership in Centreville, the city’s first automobile dealership. The three and one half story home with hipped gable roof is known for the beautiful stairway that rises from the front parlor. The Capps family bought the home in 1992 and have remodeled much of the home in keeping with the period in which it was built.
This beautiful historic Centreville house has recently been transformed into a comfortable bed and breakfast by the owners of The Oaks wedding venue.